Company: ITS - Integrated Talent Strategies
Location: Battle Creek
Posted on: November 12, 2021
--ITS has a client in the Battle Creek, MI area seeking a
Tooling Engineer.-- This is a direct hire role with full benefits
including 401k.--Role SummaryThe Tooling Engineer is responsible
for and manages the cast and trim tooling used for production and
prototypes.The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill, ability and essential duties required to
successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.Key Responsibilities
- Manage die cast die and trim tooling build, design and spare
parts to produce the highest Net Casting Rate.
- Design die cast dies: runner, cooling, vacuum systems, etc. to
ensure best part quality and optimize yield.--
- Design die seals for best vacuum performance and leak
- Calculate and design cooling system to ensure best part quality
and optimal cycle time.
- Typical designs include: vacuum, seals, hydraulic actuated
cores/slides, squeeze cores, jet-cooled cores, etc.
- Optimize tooling performance by utilizing coatings and
materials to improve die life and reduce/eliminate soldering.
- Design features that facilitate quick die change.
- Maintain list of standard tooling components (cylinders, limit
switches, prox switches, etc.)
- Develop and maintain die standards to: 1. Improve production
performance (net casting rate), 2. Optimize casting yield and, 3.
Minimize tooling costs / good casting.
- Collaborate with Tool Room Manager to develop and maintain
Tooling PM System.
- Responsible for improving uptime and reducing maintenance costs
of DC & Trim dies. Determine root-cause analysis and implement
- Analyze die IR images and improve die cooling to improve
thermal balance of DC die.
- Utilize 3D FEA, Flow and Solidification analysis to improve
- Perform dimensional analysis, implement counter-measures to
improve dimensional capability. Complete understanding of casting
tolerances and GD&T.
- Collaborate with Machining Engineer to minimize machining stock
and machining operations.
- Oversee tooling builds with tool shops. Manage timing and
- Maintain master tool drawings. Provide access to Tool Room
staff for all tooling maintenance --- minimizing downtime and
- SME: DC Dies, Trim Dies, trim presses and straightening
- Optimize shot component life (shot component cost/good
- Calculate tooling clearances based on thermal expansion and
minimum flow distances.
- Utilize poke yokes in tool design to prevent misassembly.
- Perform other duties as required.--Key
- 5-10 --years related experience in the high pressure die
castings in the automotive industry
- Die Design, Runner & Cooling Design experience
- Proficient in 2D and 3D CAD
- BS - Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
- Knowledge of Root Cause Analysis
- Lean Manufacturing background & Six Sigma preferred--
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced working environment
- Flexibility to travel in Ontario and abroad
- Fundamental computer skills using Microsoft Office suite, MS
Project and Minitab
- Must be able to understand written instructions
Keywords: ITS - Integrated Talent Strategies, Battle Creek , Tooling Engineer, Engineering , Battle Creek, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!